I've been seeing a bunch of different DIY projects with old t-shirts, and I just love all of them! A few days ago I made a braided headband out of an old t-shirt. Today I used a very similar technique and made another headband (unbraided) and a necklace.
WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- medium tank top made out of cotton t-shirt material
- hot glue gun
- Lay a t-shirt (or tank top) flat on a table.
- Cut the hem off the bottom. Then cut the shirt into at least seven loops, each about 3/4 inch in width. It doesn't make a big difference if you don't measure these pieces exactly. Feel free to play with the width.
- Hold each loop in your left hand, laying the seams on top of each other. Once you've placed all the loops in your left hand, grab the bottom of the loops with your right hand and stretch them apart. The loops should start to curl up on each other.
- Cut one strip 2 inches by 4 inches, and then as many strips as you have loops that are 1/2 inch by 3 inches. I used two different colors for my smaller strips, but you don't have to.
- Starting with the longer strip wrap that around the seams you layered together in your left hand, hot glueing the piece down as you go. Next wrap the smaller strips around each individual loop's remaining exposed seams, hot glueing as you go. Now you have a necklace!
- For the headband you'll follow the same first three steps. Then you will take the other seam of each loop and double it up to be on top of the loops piled together in your left hand. Once you've done that you will cut a strip that is 2.5 inches by 4 inches, and wrap this around the seams hot glueing as you go.
Hope you all enjoyed! Happy DIYing!