Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent

I always hate seeing the price of a large container of liquid laundry detergent, so I decided to find out if I can make some for cheap at home.  It's easier to find recipes for dry detergent, but I found this great recipe over at The Simple Dollar.  I used a smaller container though, so I cut the recipe in half.  



WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 1/2 Cup Washing Soda
- 1/4 Cup Borax
- 1/2 Bar of Soap
- Approximately 1.5 Gallons of Water



Directions:
Begin by bring about 2 cups of water to a boil in a medium saucepan on the stove.  While you are waiting on the water grate half a bar of soap.  I used Yardley's Oatmeal and Almond, and it smelled great during this whole process!  I used a standard kitchen grater for the soap, and it was easier than grating cheese.  

Once the water is boiling turn it down to a simmer, and add the soap curls by small handfuls.  Let the handful dissolve before adding the next.  

While the soap is dissolving into the simmering water, measure out 1.5 gallons of water.   Combine with the washing soda, and borax in the bucket you will use to store your detergent.  Stir well.  


Once the soap has completely dissolved in the saucepan, combine the soapy water to the borax/washing soda water mixture you just made.  Stir well, and then let sit for 24 hours.

The mixture will thicken up a lot over the next 24 hours.  When it is ready it will be a similar consistency as hair conditioner. 

My mixture smelled better than any liquid detergent I've ever bought!  Plus the texture is kinda fun!
An added bonus, Borax can be used for lots of household chores.  You can make a household cleaner, a bathroom cleaner, a mildew remover, a deodorizer for kitty litter or your garbage disposal, stain remover, unclog drains, and tons of other great uses!   
Hope you all enjoy!  Happy DIYing!