Thursday, January 5, 2012

June

For the summer months, June, July , and August I decided I wanted to have the three stages of a butterfly.  Thus, for June I started off with a caterpillar.  I don't know about you, but when I think about caterpillars I think about The Hungry Caterpillar.  

I started with his face.  I cut out a red circle in foam, and glued that down on the right side of the paper.  Then I punched two holes out of green foam, and used those to draw two slightly larger holes out of yellow.  I glued those down on top of each other for the eyes on the red circle.  Then I drew a black dot for the nose with a black fine point sharpie.  For the final part of the head, I drew two antenna out of grey watercolor paper, cut them out, and glued them at the top of the head.  

Then I started making the body.  I used three different colors of tissue paper, two light greens and a yellow.  I tore the paper in strips with the length of the paper.  Then I twisted a strip in a spiral motion, starting in the center.  If one strip left me with too small of a circle I would just glue the end down with a tiny dot, and then put another tiny dot of glue and start with another strip.  When the spiral of tissue paper was as large as the head I would turn it over and apply glue to the back.  Then smooshed the circle down butting it up against the previous circle.  

When I was finished with the body, I cut four half circles out of the red foam for the feet.  Then I glued two down together near the end of the caterpillar, and two together near the front.  Then I drew the legs with a black sharpie.  

Finally, I cut 'June' out of an old sample of wallpaper from the 70s.  I was thrilled about this match, the colors work perfectly together.  

Hope you all enjoyed!  Happy DIYing!