Monday, January 9, 2012

Mug Cakes Are Here!

Today I took a break from the calendar, because it's my mom's birthday!  Of course with birthdays comes birthday cake, right?  Since we've been over eating with the holidays I didn't want a WHOLE cake sitting around the house for the four of us to devour.  I've been seeing a lot of  'mug cakes' lately, and I thought I'd give it a go.  I tried two different recipes, very similar results.  

The first mug cake is a Gooey Chocolate Mug Cake.  You only need THREE ingredients to make this awesomeness.  One large egg, 1/4 cup of powdered sugar, and 2 TBSP of cocoa powder (more or less depending on how chocolatey you want it to be).  

First crack the egg in a standard sized mug, and whisk together the egg and powdered sugar.   If you don't have a whisk small enough you can use a fork.  

Then, mix in the cocoa powder.  The mixture should be the same consistency as cake batter, make sure there are no lumps.  

Microwave on high for 45 - 60 seconds.  This was my first try, and I would say the 60 seconds left the cake more on the dry side than I like.  My microwave is pretty efficient though, so adjust depending on how well your microwave works.   

The cake will be VERY WARM when it's finished, let cool and eat with caution!  

The second cake we tried was a Chocolate Peanut Butter Mug Cake.  This one takes a few more ingredients, but I'm sure you have most of them around the kitchen.  1 large egg, 1 TBSP of brown sugar, 2 TBSP of creamy peanut butter, 1 TBSP flour, 1 TBSP of cocoa powder (we ran out on the last mug cake, opps!  I substituted with this sipping chocolate from trader joe's, and it didn't seem to make a difference), and 1/4 TSP baking powder.  

I mixed it all together in the mug, adding and mixing the ingredients in the same order they are listed above.  This mixture gets really thick!  I stuck with the 60 seconds with this one because of the extra thickness, and that seemed to work.  I can't wait to try out more of these!  

Yay, HAPPY BIRTHDAY MOM, and Happy DIYing!