Thursday, February 23, 2012

Cat Hat!

Today we are celebrating our cat!  Cricket was diagnosed with mouth cancer six months ago.  When she was diagnosed the vet gave her a life expectancy of only two to six months.  We left the veterinarian's that day thinking we'd be lucky if Chicken made it to the end of three months.  It's six months now, and she still seems pretty healthy.  I have no idea how much more time we may get with her, but we are cherishing everyday.  So today I made her a hat.  Yes, a cat hat!  

All you'll need is one willing-to-please-kitty, a cap to a plastic bottle, an old sock, scissors, a hot glue gun w/glue, and a cereal box or something of similar weight & thickness.  

Start by cutting the toe off of a sock, make sure to have enough to wrap around the bottle cap.  Place the lid inside the piece you just cut off the sock.  Put a healthy amount of hot glue inside the bottle cap, and fold the sock in.  Use as much glue as you need to make it stay.  Now draw a brim for the hat on a piece of cardboard.  I did this by tracing the piece I just made, and then drawing a brim off of that circle.  Then I cut it out, and dry fit it under the cap.  Trimmed off whatever I needed to, and then hot glued it in place.  

Then I cut off another piece of fabric from the sock to fit around the cardboard brim.  Wrapped the fabric around the brim and glued it in place.  

Now you have a cute cat hat!

Isn't she adorable?  Don't worry, no cats were harmed in the making of this cat hat.  

This may make me a crazy cat lady, but I don't care, cause dang is my cat stylin'!  Happy DIYing! chris