Monday, March 5, 2012

Roasted Carrot & Pistachio Soup

Happy Nom Nom Monday!!!  I have another tasty soup for you.  I borrowed the recipe from Buried Carrots.  Who better to get my carrot recipes from???   I had a TON of carrots leftover from my root vegetable soup, so I hunted the web for something better than just your average carrot soup, and this is what I found a Roasted Carrot and Pistachios Soup.  

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
- 6-8 large carrots
- 1 large yellow onion
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/2 cup roasted & unsalted pistachios
- 6 cups vegetable stock (I only used four)
- 2 tsp dried thyme (I thought I had some but I didn't so I used 1 tsp of dried parsley & 1 tsp dried marjoram)  
- salt and pepper to taste

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 475 degrees (F).  Now peel your carrots, onion, and garlic.  Then cut the carrots and onion into 1-2 inch pieces.  Toss the onion, cloves of garlic, and carrots with the olive oil and salt and pepper.  Spread them out on a baking sheet.

Roast the veggies in the oven for 35 - 45 minutes, or until they are slightly browned on the outside.  

While the vegetables are roasting mix together the pistachios, vegetable stock, and dried herbs.  The recipe said, "more or less 6 cups to reach desired consistency", and so I only used four cups, because that was the size of the vegetable stock I bought.  My soup was pretty thick, we watered it down a little bit at the end with about a cup of water.  It's definitely a preference thing, and how many people you're trying to serve.

When the veggies are done scoop them into a large saucepan.  Add the vegetable stock, pistachio, and herb mixture.  Bring to a boil, and then reduce the heat to a simmer.  Let simmer for about an half hour or until the vegetables are tender.  

Now blend everything together in the a food processor.  I was able to fit it all into the large container for the bullet, but if you have a smaller food processor you can work in batches.  Once everything is blended if you think the soup is too thick you can add more vegetable stock (or water) to get the the desired consistency.  


Reheat and serve.  I added some blue cheese to the top of my soup!  Hope ya'll had a good Monday, and happy DIYing!