Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Cupcake Toppers


Happy Tuesday, and welcome back to the One Year Wedding Anniversary Series!  If you are just finding my blog, you can catch up with How We Met, and our Wedding Stationary.  Today I am sharing my cupcake toppers.  I handmade all of my toppers, and gave them to my baker to put them on all the cupcakes.  It was rather nerve racking giving up all my precious babies for someone else to take care of, and make sure they were all perfectly placed.  I'll admit it, I have some a lot of control issues, and I'm a bit of a perfectionist.  

When our baker asked us about what we wanted to do for an anniversary cake, we looked at each other baffled.  We had never heard of such a thing.  When the baker explained that it was a cake you would freeze and eat a YEAR LATER, we were even more confused.  Why did that become a thing?  Why would anyone want to eat a cake that has been frozen for a year????  For all of you who did this, I hope your marriage lasts longer than anyone else's!  You definitely deserve a long marriage, especially if your significant other wanted to eat a year old cake for your first anniversary with you!

We used our cake to cut into during the reception, and share our first piece together.  The top cake was a Oreo marble layered cake, soooo good.  It was the only thing I ate during the wedding.  My tummy was too jittery to try any of the yummy food we bought.  I was sad I never got to try any of our caterer's food!  We never had a tasting before the wedding either, but that was my biggest disappointment with the food, so I really can't complain. 


We had chocolate cupcakes with buttercream frosting, red velvet cupcakes with cream cheese icing, yellow cake with buttercream frosting, and the orange icing was peanut butter flavored.  We grabbed a couple peanut butter cupcakes for our train ride to NYC for the first part of our honeymoon.  They were amazing.  Our baker is truly talented.  

All photos taken by Kaelyn Michaels Ryan, and Tanya Keenan.  Cupcakes made by Sweets to You By Ginger.  

Sadly, I don't have any photos of the pinwheel toppers I made.  I'll make some more, and make a post about it.  I also made these super special paper flowers made with fancy origami paper, but they never made it onto our topper cake.  I didn't care about either of these things on the day of the wedding.  I didn't realize I completed failed to ask my fantastic photographers to get a few snaps of all my little handmade details.  Plus I should have taken some photos after I had set-up some of the other things the day before, but I broke the lens mount on my camera a few days before the wedding.  It was an easy repair we took care of on the second day of the honeymoon, but it sucked not having my camera on the pre-wedding days.  I was so angry with myself that day, and it was super embarrassing.  To make up for it, in NYC we bought a macro lens and a sporty camera bag at B & H Photo.  We talked to this awesome jewish dude, and we were elated with our experience there.  Plus they directed us to a great place that fixed my camera for $50 in one hour.  

That's all for today, hope ya'll enjoyed, happy DIYing, chris!