Monday, May 7, 2012

Fruit Cup



Happy Nom Nom Monday!  I had an awkward work schedule, so I'd just made a little snack between my shifts.  I used what we had in the house, but this recipe could be switch up easily for multiple tasty combinations.  I made a simple fruit cup.  All we have are apples and maraschino cherries.  I've made this with just apples at night to bring for lunch during work the next day.  I'd like to try it with maybe peaches, pineapple, and strawberries.  Great easy snack.

This will make 2 fruit cups: one apple, 8 cherries (fresh cherries would be better than maraschino), 2 tablespoons of sugar, and 2 teaspoons of lemon juice.  The sugar is to balance out the tartness of the lemon juice.

Chop the apple up in bite sized pieces, and quarter the cherries.

Place in a small saucepan, and add the sugar and lemon juice.  Cook for a couple minutes, stirring occasionally. 

Serve when the apples have softened a little, while still holding a little crispness.  The lemon juice will keep the apples from browning, so if you want to prepare this ahead of time, it will store well in the refrigerator.

Eating it warm is pleasant too, great on a cold rainy day. 

Hope ya'll enjoyed, and happy DIYing, chris!