Monday, July 30, 2012

Fresh Tomato & Bell Pepper Pasta Salad


Happy Nom Nom Monday!  Today I made a pasta salad using some of the fresh pickin's from our garden.  Cold pasta salads are perfect for lunch or dinner in the summer.  I could eat it everyday.  

I used some green grape tomatoes, riesentraube tomatoes, a couple black cherry tomatoes, and the peppers are technically purple beauties.  I couldn't wait until the peppers got purple, they've been tempting me for days, weeks on end.  Then I looked to our herb garden, and decided the lemon basil was the way to go.  I based my recipe off of this Lemon Pasta Salad with Tomatoes and Feta I found on yummly.  

Ingredients:
- 7 tablespoons of extra-virgin olive oil
- 2.5 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons of dijon mustard
- 2 garlic cloves (where were out, what! so I substituted with garlic salt)
- 12 ounces of bow-tie pasta
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 1 1/2 cups bell peppers
- 1 1/2 feta cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup white onion
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon basil



Directions:
I began by boiling water, and cooking the pasta.  While that was happening I chopped all of the my cherry tomatoes, peppers, and onion up.  I also tore my basil into small bits and mixed that in.  Next I mixed together the olive oil, lemon juice, mustard, and garlic salt together in a medium bowl.  When the pasta was done I mixed the pasta and veggies together, then I poured the sauce over them, and mixed throughly.  Finishing with the cheeses.  Now truthfully I didn't have that much cheese, I used what was left in a half used feta tub, and about a tablespoon of freshly grated parmesan cheese.  I threw some black pepper on for seasoning, and called it lovely!  


It was tasty.  Even my hubby who usually doesn't go for cold pasta salads had seconds of this one.  I think the only thing that could have made it better was if I had more cheese, and fresh garlic.  

I love eating pasta salads the next day.  The flavors have a chance to really culminate and become alive together.  I already have this packed up for work tomorrow.  Hope ya'll are having a wonderful Nom Nom Monday, and happy DIYing, chris!