Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Fabric Bracelet


Hey all!  Today I'm making a fabric bracelet.  I wear it as part of my work uniform, because I have to cover up my wrist tattoo.  I've made this bracelet before, but not for the blog, and my old one was stolen!  I used to get tons of compliments from the kids I photograph, when I wore this bracelet.  I knew with the beginning of this season I needed to make a new one.  I use an old polo shirt that was my mom's from when she was my age.  It's a great way to keep this old favorite around, even though it's gotten worn out, and doesn't look so great as a top.  

To begin I used a section that had a hem on two sides, and cut out a piece about 7 inches by 4.5 inches.  I folded the long side in, and pinned down to hem that edge.  

Then I folded the piece in half with the stitch side of the hems up. I sewed the ends together.  I consistently stitched the needle through the same side of the fabric, and made a tight loop over the ends.  This binds off the end, and makes for a neater and softer finish.  

Here is the finished result.  I love the soft old fabric.  This took me about two hours to sew by hand, while talking, watching TV, and snacking.  A great couch activity.  

I hope this bracelet gets as many compliments as it's predecessor.  Have a lovely day, and happy DIYing, chris!