Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Christmas Present Front Door


If you've been following my blog for any amount of time you know my crafting revolves around what I already have on hand.  So for today's DIY I wanted to dress up my front door for the holidays.  Now I'm not much of a wreath person.  Sure there are TONS of simple DIY ideas for wreaths, but that means EVERYONE has a wreath on their front door right now.  Part of me wants to join in on the fun, but then I remind myself that I don't own any wreath crafting materials.  So I put on my crafting cap, and started spinning up some ideas out of the materials I do have on hand.  I always have present wrapping materials around, and thus was born the idea of wrapping my front door like a Christmas present.  

I began at the top of the door lining up the edge of the wrapping paper with the hinge side of the door.  I taped the paper across the top, and then down the hinge side.  Next I moved to the handle side, and cut out the door knob hole, and the dead bolt hole.  Then I trimmed the excess off the remaining side, and across the bottom, and taped down the edges.  

Then I moved on to the ribbon.  I started with the center ribbon, and taped at the top and bottom.  Next I ran the ribbons on either side of the center 'merry christmas' ribbon.  I ran out of all three, so I used a different ribbon to run horizontally.  I finished it off with a bow.  I'm not going to give instructions on how I made the bow, because it's the first one I've ever made, and there are lots of how to You Tube videos out there.   

I love the way this turned out.  I just wish the bow was a bit bigger, but it's cute.  When I get better at bow making this will be fabulous in the years to come.  Happy DIYing, chris!