Monday, February 20, 2012

Root Vegetable Soup

I'm liking the idea of having Monday's be food themed.  I will try to keep up with this idea from now on.  Tonight I made Root Vegetable Soup.  I got the recipe from the fantastic soup cookbook The Soup Bible.  I definitely recommend this book, it is a great resource for soup lovers!

ingredients:
3 carrots, chopped
1 large potato, chopped
1 large parsnip, chopped
1 large turnip or small rutabaga, chopped
1 onion, chopped
2 tablespoons sunflower oil (I used extra virgin olive oil, because my market didn't have any sunflower oil)
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 quart water
1 piece of fresh ginger root, peeled and grated
1 1/4 cup milk
3 tablespoons creme fraiche or sour cream
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill
1 tablespoon lemon juice
salt and pepper to season
sprigs of fresh dill, to garnish
I added a clove of garlic.  Everything taste better with garlic right?


Directions:
Chop all the carrots, potato, parsnip, turnip (or rutabaga), and onion up.  Heat all of those veggies up in a large pot with the butter and oil.  

Cover and let everything sweat together for fifteen minutes on low heat.  

While that is cooking I measured out the water, and set net to the cooking veggies.  Then I peeled and grated the ginger.  I also crushed some garlic in with the ginger.  In it's own measuring cup measure out the milk.  In a third container measure out the dil, sour cream, and lemon juice.

Once the 15 minutes has passed for the vegetables sweating it out in the butter and oil add the 1 1/2 quarts of water.  Season with salt and pepper, and I threw in some krazy jane salt mixes.  Turn the heat up a bit and bring to a boil, let simmer covered for twenty minutes.  

When the veggies are all softened, drain off the stock and save.  Place the veggies in a food processor with the ginger and garlic, and blend until completely smooth.  

Then add the stock and pureed veggies back into the saucepan.  Add heat and slowly mix in the milk as the mixture warms back up.  This shouldn't take long, the mixture doesn't loose much heat in the blender.  Once warm enough, remove from heat and add the dill, sour cream, and lemon juice mixture.  Mix together, and then serve.  If you need to rewarm the soup, don't let it come to a boil or it may curdle.  

Serve with a spoonful of sour cream, and a couple sprigs of dill to garnish.  This soup was really smooth and rich.  This is a fantastic winter soup!  It really helps warm you up on a cold day.  

Hope you enjoy as much as my family did, happy DIYing! chris