Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Spring Cleaning

To celebrate spring, I did what any good neat freak would do -- made some cleaning supplies!  I had run out of glass cleaner and all purpose, because I use those most.  I did my internet research, and mixed together some different recipe ideas, and this is what I came up with.  


For both of the spray bottles I recycled the containers I had just run out of.  The salmon top is 32 oz., and the white top is 18 oz.  To cover the labels, I cut out scrapbook paper, glued it down, and then painted some clear varnish over the label.  I did this after I filled the spray bottles with their new cleaning agents.  

Glass Spray:
Fill halfway with warm water, add two tablespoons of lemon juice, and fill with distilled white vinegar.  I tried it on my bathroom mirror, and it worked well.  No streaks, it didn't reek of vinegar, and it removed the damage I've left behind from flossing.  I always have these ingredients in the house, so I'm thrilled this works!  I've also read recipes where they use just vinegar, or distilled water instead of tap water.  

All Purpose Cleaner:
Fill the spray bottle halfway with hot water (approximately 2 cups), add 1/2 teaspoon of washing soda, then two tablespoons of borax, and one teaspoon of orange extract, and now fill the rest of the way with water (another two cups about).  Shake, and you are ready to clean!  After cooking tonight's dinner I tested it out on the counter, and it was fantastic!  Perfect amount of orange smell too!  

Again, these are all things I have in the house.  You can replace the washing soda with baking soda for a slightly less abrasive cleaning solution.  I know not everyone has washing soda in the house, but it is a great addition to your cleaning supplies, so is borax.  They are both super fantastic as powders with a little water mixed in.  They make a paste that can tackle the hardest grease, mold, or stain.  

Hope ya'll enjoyed, happy spring, and happy DIYing, chris.