Thursday, October 4, 2012

Old Fashioned Cocktail


I've been wanting to try an old fashioned for some time, but for some reason whenever I go to a bar I forget to order one.  This past weekend Aaron received some Maker's Mark 46 as a groom's men gift.  So what better time to try it out for myself?  I had all the ingredients but the bitters.  I more or less followed this recipe on Snackish
Ingredients:
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon water
- a couple dashes of bitters
- ice cubes
- 2 shots of whisky
- lemon rind
- maraschino cherries

Directions:
Measure out the sugar, water, and bitters into a tumbler.  Stir together until there is no tomorrow.  Make sure the sugar is completely dissolved.  Add ice.  Pour in the whisky. 

Arrange the cherries and lemon rind on a toothpick, and stir the drink.  Enjoy.  

Now to be honest I went a little crazy with the bitters, and I also added some lemon juice, so it was rather sour.  Next time I would barely add any bitters, it's a weird flavor.  A bit strong for my taste.  Definitely glad I tried this out, since it's one of the oldest cocktails out there.  This cocktail is pretty much what all others were spawned out of.  Or so I heard on the internet somewhere.  :)  

Have a great night, and happy DIYing, chris!