Saturday, November 3, 2012

Falling Behind


I'm in a really weird head space lately.  I haven't been feeling to enthusiastic about the blog recently.  It's been feeling more like a chore than an outlet.  I haven't been thrilled with any of my recent projects.  I mean sure some have been cool, and I enjoyed the final product, but nothing to write home about.  Nothing to generate as much traffic as my homemade modge podge.  I've been missing being more creative over crafty.  I want to take my time on a drawing that takes a few weeks, and not worry about getting a finished product in a few hours so I can photograph it, and make a post about it.  

Though honestly between work, and all the house stuff, and then life stuff I just want some time off from the blog.  I keep thinking about how I'm pretty close to reaching my one year mark of posting every day for 365 days straight.  That sounds like a great time to take a day off.  Or maybe three or four days.  Ha! Maybe a week or a MONTH!  Ok, I'm getting a little carried away, but the point is I need a break.  

I've been feeling rather overwhelmed.  For a while now.  When that feeling begins to feel like the norm it's hard to believe that it's possible to accomplish all the things on your to do list.  Which then makes me feel like why even bother?  I'd really rather catch up on my sleep, so let's take a nap!  Though just  the idea of all the time that would be wasted while napping sends my stomach into knots.  

I've also been having a hard time concentrating.  It's taken me nearly an hour to write out this much.  For the last paragraph I've been sitting in silence, with the tv on mute, just trying to focus.  My brain is just buzzing with activity.  It's hard to find the right words to string together a sentence.  I'm not even sure where I'm going with this, or what the point of today's post is.  I need to come up with a better game plan for attacking my blog posts.  I need to revamp this whole thing, and come up with a new perspective on my blogging process.  I need to come up with some goals of where I would like the blog to be when it is a year and a half old.  

What do you do when you need to see things in a new light?  How do you keep blogging, or similar outlets from becoming a chore or something you drag your feet to get done?  What keeps you enthusiastic about your creative projects?  

I find removing all constraints from a project, and maybe even trying to break some rules along the way helps rejuvenate my love for photography and similar creative outlets.  Just pressing the shutter without any planning or pre-existing expectations.  Sometimes the best photos happen when I don't have any preconceived ideas of what I would like the final product to look like.  I can spend too much time thinking about a photo, and trying too hard to get it exactly like what I imagined the picture to look like.  The outcome is usually better when I loosen my grip a bit, and let things just happen.  Now to apply that thought process to my blog!  

Well that's enough introspective thinking for one night, happy DIYing, chris!