Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Our Honeymoon Part Two


I wish I was in New Orleans right now!  Aaron and I had a fantastic time on our honeymoon there last year.  This was my third trip, and Aaron's first.  Every time I go there I fall in love with that city a little more and more.  There is this feeling that builds up inside of me, that I've never experienced in the States before.  I had a similar feeling of happiness or familiarity when I went abroad to London too.  I don't know how to describe it, other than this overwhelming sensation of being home.   Even on my first trips to either place, I just felt like I finally found where I belong.  



The photo on the right of me, is a perfect example of how New Orleans makes me feel.  I love the pic for that reason, even if I'm a bit blown out.  Aaron looks awesome in his photo.  I love how much his outfit clashes!  This old homeless dude called Aaron's shoes BP sneakers, and it made us a little sad.  We had just bought them in NYC, and we went with this color combo because it was the only pair we could find in bright colors and Aaron's size.  Aaron burns through shoes, and it's hard to find fun shoes for dudes.  Especially since he wears through them so quickly.  We don't want to pay an arm and a leg for a pair he'll have busted through a couple months later.  

I love how much live music there is everywhere.  I could hang out and people watch all day.

We went on a pontoon ride to see some gators up close and personal.  Did you know alligators love to eat marshmallows?  That's how our guide would get them to come to the boat!  Since they don't have great vision during the day and above water, they can spot the white puff balls easily from far off.  

He gave this bigger guy some chicken to get him to jump out of the water a bit.  On one of my previous trips a native told me, if you want to catch an eight foot gator, hang a chicken on a hook 7 feet above the water, and you'll be guaranteed an eight footer.  

Then he passed this cute little dude around .  I was way overdressed for alligator holding, but I bought this dress specifically for our honeymoon.  I wasn't sure if I would wear this dress again, but I got so many compliments I've worn it a few times since.  It will definitely be making an appearance on the blog soon enough. 

The other major touristy thing we did was take a tour of a plantation.  I love to nose around old historical homes.  There are tons to choose from down there, but we picked Oak Alley Plantation.  It's called that because there are 300 year old oaks that line the main walkway up from the street.  Absolutely beautiful.  Believe it or not the trees where planted 100 years before the house was originally built!  The photo above is taken from the upstairs porch of the plantation.  

This was the first photo we took with our new macro lens we bought at B and H photo in NYC.  Well not the first, but the first that it made sense to be using a macro lens.  I love dragon flies, they are simply majestic.  

I really liked this jumper when I bought it at Urban Outfitters last year.   I've tried it on since, and I just don't feel comfortable in it.  It looks funny around my waist, and I don't like the way my thighs look, and it's super low cut.  I've never felt all that comfortable in shorts, I'm not sure why I thought I would in this.  i have to constantly remind myself when shopping that just because I like some trend doesn't mean I will be able to pull it off.  I'm not trying to be down on my body.  I'm fine with the way I'm shaped, but just because someone who is 5'9" and 110 lbs looks good in something doesn't mean my 5'5" 140 lbs butt will look as cute.  It's just a fact, and I'm okay with that.  

Now this is a pair of shorts I can feel comfortable in!  I'm not even sure where I bought these, but I should have gotten two (or four)!  They are cut to just above my knee, so I don't ever feel like my thighs are overly exposed.  The material and detailing on them make them easy to dress down or up.  They are my go-to bottoms for summer wear.  

I love the cemeteries in New Orleans.  All the bodies have to be buried above ground, because of the sea level, if not they would just float on up during a storm.  Which results in all these beautiful crumbling family mausoleums.  I don't think it's necessary to bury my body when I go, but if this was a family tradition my feelings might be different.  Cemeteries these days seem like a big waste of space, and I worry that we eventually wont have room for anyone else to be put to rest in the cold ground.  The cemeteries in New Orleans make me reconsider this antiquated religious practice, and the meaning it holds for the living.  Maybe it is necessary for people to come to a quiet place to reflect on those who have come before us, and what the future holds for all of us.  

Wow, I had a lot of little off topic blurts there.  Hope you enjoyed this little peak into our honeymoon last year, if you missed the first half in NYC, you can catch-up here.  Happy DIYing, chris!