Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Sail Away With Me


Today I decided to apply my fabric painting talents to a pair of leggings.  I'm not sure why I've only painted on t-shirts before, but I saw Annika painted some hearts onto a pair of tights over on The Pineneedle Collective, so I thought I'd give it a go on some black leggings.  

Here are the leggings I started off with.  They are great leggings, but I own tons of black leggings, so I thought I'd give these a make-over.  

I started off by sticking blue painter's tape all over my legs while I was still wearing the leggings.  That way I could look at myself in the mirror, and make sure I liked the placement of all the spots.  Then I carefully slipped them off, trying not to remove any of the tape.  

Next, I used a sailboat stencil, and traced it onto foam.  I would have preferred to use foam with a sticky back, but this is what I had on hand.  I made a bunch, because after painting five or more sailboats I'd start having major bleed issues.  If I had foam with sticky backing this probably wouldn't have happened.  

These are the tools I used to paint on the sailboats.  I didn't realize until I was nearly done that the sponge applicator was the best tool.  I usually use a paintbrush, and that's what I started off with, but then I realized I had some sponges I bought for this type of project.  So thrilled I bought these, I will definitely only be using these from now on when I paint stencils.  

This is what they look like finished.  I'm pretty happy with them.  Now I wish it was legging weather!  Well, not really, but these will bring a smile on my face when it gets cold out again.  
Here is what they look like in an outfit.  I almost thought I didn't have anything to wear them with!  Then I remembered this skirt, I haven't worn it in ages.  This style skirt was all the rage last spring/summer.  I guess the mini bodycon skirt replaced this look this year.  Still a totally cute look.

Tank Top -- Kohl's
Skirt -- Boscov's
Leggings -- Macy's
Belt -- Target
Shoes -- Target

Hope ya'll enjoyed!  Happy DIYing, chris!