Monday, May 14, 2012

Stawbuttery and Black & White Oreo Fudge


Hey ya'll, Happy Nom Nom Mondays!  Ha!  I guess I'm doing my best impersonation of Paula Deen there.  I do love butter, which brings me to my first treat for today.  I found this recipe on Pinterest.  It is called Strawberry Honey Butter from Half Baked.  
I made three and a half jars.  I gave one to my grandmother, and one to my mother for mother's day.  I tied a simple red bow of yarn around my grandmother's, because that's her favorite color.  :)  
My mixture came out a lot runnier and darker than Half Baked's.  I was in a rush, and I didn't carefully follow the directions to a T.  I missed that she said cook the strawberry mixture until thickened.  I cooked for a quick three minutes, and to bring it down to room temp I placed the sauce pan in a bowl of ice water.  I usually like to read the comments on blog recipes before I try them, because you can find helpful hints in there.  This time I rummaged through the comments afterwards.  I wanted to see if anyone else had similar results, and someone did!  Paula  (not Deen) thought it was due to not cooking the strawberry mixture for long enough.  I tried to thicken my mixture by using a half cup more of butter.  Not sure it did anything, but make it creamier, which definitely didn't hurt.  
This spread tastes great!  Strawbuttery!  I want to try it again with cooking the strawberries down all the way, to compare the results!  I spread it on a cinnamon raisin english muffin for breakfast.  Then again for an after dinner desert!  I switched it up a bit, and tried a hazelnut spread (Nutella knock-off) under the strawberry honey butter.  Love this mixture!  Great way to fill that chocolate craving, mmm, mmm, mmm!  

I also made some Double Decker Oreo Fudge.  I found this recipe on Pinterest from Bakers Royale.  This is my first layer in the pan.  
I used Spring Oreos, they have yellow cream instead of white centers, which made this layer a little yellow instead of cookies and cream colored.  That's a color right?  Definitely not the same as black and white ... oh, no, not at all. :)  
The recipe said it only needed an hour to setup in the fridge.  I left it in there for a couple hours, but the Oreo layer was still sticky yesterday.   I took these photos the today, and after sitting in the fridge overnight it was a thousand times easier to cut.  
My layers were not as perfect as Bakers Royale's, mostly because I used a larger pan.  This did not effect the flavor.  Still yummy Milk Chocolate and White Chocolate Oreo fudge.  I don't know why I think of fudge as a summer treat, but I think I might go fudge crazy this summer.  I forgot how simple it is to make, plus it doesn't take many ingredients, which makes it inexpensive to make too!  Maybe Peanut Butter Fudge next?  I love peanut butter.  :)

Hope ya'll had a great Monday, and Happy DIYing, chris!