Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Rock Necklace


For April's Photo An Hour I  posted this photo, saying I was planning a DIY with these items.  I did the DIY with the doggie brooch at the beginning of this month, and today I am working with the rock.  This rock is from my one and only trip to Brighton Beach, England.  It was the only beach I've ever been to that was complete covered in rocks, no sand anywhere!  I love rocks, so I was in heaven.  Best beach ev-ar!  Way better than sand.  I didn't come home at the end of the day finding rocks in strange places, like I do with sand.  
Anyway on to the DIY.  In addition to the rock, I used some leftover chain from a project Aaron did, and some twine that came from a candle Aaron got from Pier1.  The rock is perfect for this project because it natural has a hole in it.  The moment I saw it I knew it was meant to be on a necklace.  This is my kind of DIY, because I didn't have to pay for any of the materials.  I also used a needle nose plier, and a pair of scissors.
This is the finished product on.  I started by centering the twine in the rock, and then I threaded it through the loops on the chain.  The ends of the chain met at the rock.  The ends of the twine met at the nape of my neck.  I used the needle nose pliers to remove the excess chain.  I eyeballed the length, placing it around my neck as I went to make sure I liked the look.  

I'm really pleased with the way this turned out.  So simple, and free, can't beat that!  I'm glad I'll be able to wear this lovely memory around my neck, and it looks so fancy.  It definitely doesn't look like something I made in less then ten minutes.  I hope I find some more awesome nature bits to make necklaces out of! 

Happy DIYing, chris!