Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Long Days and Laundry.


Another long day.  I left home at 6:45am, and I got home at 6:30pm.  On the way home my husband called from the super market asking if he should buy laundry detergent.  I nearly had a heart attack.  Okay not really.  I'm being overly dramatic, but I definitely did not want to spend any money on laundry soap.  So I stopped by my parent's to get our gigantic bucket of detergent I've made.  Out of all the DIY posts I've made this is the one I use every week.  I'm so glad I tried this out. I've tripled the batch I make at a time now, so it lasts even longer.  It usually only takes twenty minutes or so to make.  You have to wait 24 hours to use it, but that just takes a little planning ahead.  I also suggest stirring occasionally over the 24 hours, because if you don't some of the water will separate out and end up on the top, and the soap will become this weird gelatinous mass.  It's still useable if that happens, it just takes a lot of extra stirring.  Other than the odd consistency it's totally fantastic!  It's worth a try even if you're a sceptic, because it's doesn't cost much to try out, and all the ingredients are great household items.  Water, a bar of soap, borax, and washing soda.  Which all have many other useful duties around the home other than being used to make laundry detergent.  


Since I'm still without internet, and the library is only open until eight.  This is all I have tonight.  My homemade liquid laundry detergent is my favorite DIY to date.