Saturday, January 5, 2013

Dreaming of Spring


I've had spring on the mind, and more specifically gardening.  I'm so excited to starte our first garden at this house.  Right now spring seems so far away.  Since the frost has set in, and all our herbs have died off I thought this would be the perfect time to start an indoor container garden.  I've been saving some plastic containers from cottage cheese, sour cream, and fresh parmesan cheese.  I also won a little Chia starter herb garden from a game of White Elephant with my family on Christmas, that's where the little clay pots and saucers are from.  

I always have a stash of spray paint, so I picked a few colors to spray the containers with.  Then to ensure proper drainage I used a small nail, and hammered several holes into the bottom of the plastic containers.  


Then I filled the container most of the way with soil, and sowed the seeds over the top.  

I added a handful of soil over the top, and watered the new plants.  

I painted a few other containers, but I have to wait a little longer for them to dry.  I'll share photos when they show some signs of growth.  

I'm excited for all the fresh herbs I will hopefully have!  I love using fresh herbs in my cooking, and I can't wait to use my own plants.  Happy DIYing, chris!