Monday, January 21, 2013

Spinach Pasta Bake


Happy Nom Nom Monday!  Today I'm sharing  a recipe I found for a Spinach Pasta Bake.  A long while ago I bought In the Kitchen with America's Favorite Brand Name Recipes from a thrift store, and every once and awhile I'll break it out for a recipe.  Though I'm not a brand name kinda person, so I rarely use exactly what the recipe calls out for.  Either way I get yummy results.  

Ingredients:
- 8 ounces of spinach fettuccine
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 1 cup fresh mushroom 
- 1 green onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 4 to 5 cups fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon water
- 15 ounces of nonfat ricotta cheese
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyére cheese

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 350ºF.  Begin cooking the pasta according to the package instructions.  Drain and set aside.  

Slice the mushrooms, green onion, and mince the garlic.  Heat a medium sized skillet with the butter in it.  Add the mushrooms, green onion, and garlic, and cook until the mushrooms are tender.  

Roughly chop the spinach, and add it to the skillet with the water.  Cook until the spinach is wilted, about three minutes.  

In a bowl mix together the ricotta cheese, milk, egg, nutmeg, and black pepper.  Then stir in the veggies, and the noodles.  After everything has been throughly mixed pour into a buttered 8" x 8" pan.  

Cover with shredded Gruyére cheese.  The recipe in the book called for Swiss, but we had some gruyére we needed to use.  We thought it was a terrific substitute.  Bake the dish for 25 to 30 minutes.

This dish had great flavor.  I will definitely be making this again.  I've been looking for ways to get more spinach and mushrooms into my diet, and this is right up my ally.  Fantastic vegetarian meal.  

Enjoy Nom Nom Monday, chris!