Saturday, January 14, 2012

Blue Cheese, and Tomato Mac & Cheese

This is something I've been doing for years.  I've loved boxed mac & cheese since I can remember.  I probably loved it in utero.  As I've gotten older I've had to adjust the way I make it, to grow with my grown up tastes.  This is my most recent adaptation, I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!

WHAT YOU'LL NEED:
-one box of mac & cheese (any brand but velveeta) 
-1/3 cup milk
-1/3 cup of crumbled blue cheese (use less if you don't want it to be extra blue cheesey)
-2/3 cup of shredded mild cheddar cheese
-1/4 cup tomato (diced)

Directions:
- Boil water in a medium saucepan.  Once boiling add two tablespoons of salt, then add the macaroni noodles.  The salt will help keep the noodles from sticking together.  Cooking according to the directions on the box.  When you drain the noodles run cold water over them, this will also keep them from sticking together.  Let the noodles sit in the strainer while you make the sauce.

- While the noodles are cooking cut up your blue cheese, and shred your mild cheddar.


- In the same pan you used to cook the noodles add the sauce pack, the milk, and both cheeses, and cook over a low heat.  Make sure the pan doesn't get too hot, or the cheese will overcook and stick to the pan.  While that's melting together dice up 1/4 cup of tomato, and set aside in a small bowl.  Make sure to stir the cheese sauce repeatedly, so that it doesn't stick to the pan.

- Once the cheeses are all melted together, add the noodles, and mix thoroughly.  
- Serve the mac & cheese, and then add the tomatoes to each serving.  I like to add a little of Lawry's Seasoned Salt too, but definitely not necessary.  

If you love blue cheese you have to try this!  Sooooo tasty.   Happy DIYing!