Sunday, September 9, 2012

Fancy Care Package


One of my brothers is currently living in Haiti helping build a community center, and I recently got the bright idea to send him a care package.  I don't know about you, but when I'm away from home getting a box full of goodies in the mail is just about the best thing.  But I'm not one to send a plain cardboard box in the mail.  It has no character, and takes all the fun out of the treats inside.  I love giving the boring exterior a major makeover.  

I started off by spray painting the outside a fun pastel green.  

Then I used a sponge pouncer to make blue polka dots all over the box.  I used fabric paint, because I figured it would dry quickly, but any paint would do.  I tested out how the dots would turn out on my canvas drop cloth first.  The sponge applicator is perfect for making polka dots.  It was even easy to make dots around the edges of the box too.  

The box looks awesome now! I'm excited to pack up all my goodies and get them off to Haiti.  I hope my brother and the people he's been working with enjoy the contents as much as I enjoyed painting the care package.  

I need to get myself ready for work, and off to bed, because I have to wake up at three in the morning tomorrow!  Then I have to drive for an hour and twenty minutes, to start working at 5:15am.  Pure madness!  Happy DIYing, chris!