Monday, January 28, 2013

Chocolate Cake for Two


Happy Nom Nom Monday!  I've been on a chocolate kick lately.  I just can't get enough of it.  Most days I don't think about chocolate at all.  Then like clockwork four o'clock rolls around, and I'm salivating for a candy bar, or ice cream with any kind of chocolate chunkiness.  Sure a melty chocolate cake would be delish, but bake a whole cake for one? or two?  Not gunna happen.  Though, as you know I've recently discovered mug cakes that you can cook in the microwave or oven, and they are an amazing solution. Today I made a melty Chocolate Cake For Two.  


Ingredients:
- 4 tablespoons of butter
- 4 ounces of bittersweet chocolate (I had to substitute with baker's unsweetened chocolate & 3 TBSP of sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of flour
- powdered sugar for garnish

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 450ºF.  Butter an oven proof dish that can hold one cup, and coat the dish with sugar.  In a double boiler melt the butter and chocolate together, stirring regularly.  

In a medium sized bowl whisk together the egg, yolk, and sugar.  Once those ingredients are thoroughly combined add the chocolate mixture while whisking.  Add the flour, and continue stirring until the mixture is smooth.  Then pour into the small buttered dish.  Place in the oven for 15 - 20 minutes.  Remove and turn upside down on a plate to cool.  

Let cool for a few minutes, then gently tap the sides, and lift the dish releasing the cake onto the plate.  If it doesn't come loose, you can flip it upside down and using a butter knife gently separate the cake from the edges of the dish.  Then turn it upside down again, and hopefully it will drop out.  Garnish with powdered sugar, and enjoy with a close friend or lover!    


This dessert is extra decadent.  Part of me wanted to gobble the whole thing down, but my thighs reminded me I should share.  I love warm melty desserts, but I need to remember moderation is the key.  With these cold days and onslaught of holiday gorging, I mean festivities, my pants have become uncomfortably tight.  Time for me to eat more greens, and exercise more!  On that note, Happy Nom Nom Monday, chris!