Saturday, January 28, 2012

Kris' Grad Gift

Today, I went to my brother's masters' graduation party, and his gift is my DIY.  I gave him a journal, and to personalize it I printed a 'K' on the cover (his name is Kris).  I had a little fun with the way I wrapped the present as well.  

WHAT YOU'LL NEED
- Journal
- Printer w/standard printer paper
- Exacto Knife
- Tape
- Nail Polish
- Kraft Paper
- Confetti
- Glue
- Scissors

Directions:
Begin by printing out the future journal owner's initial.  Use whatever font you like best, and will be able to cut out with an Exacto knife.   I used 'Lucida Handwriting' at size 150 in Microsoft Word.

Cut a square out around the letter, and tape the letter to the front of your journal.  I think it looks good in the bottom right corner, but the upper center would look great as well!  Paint a coat of clear nail polish first, this will help keep the color you pick from bleeding under your stencil.  When the clear coat dries, paint on nail polish in a rich solid color.  I needed several coats of nail polish, to get the solid look I was going for.  

Once the nail polish has dried, remove your stencil.  If the nail polish has bled anywhere, you can use a cotton swab and nail polish remover.  

When the 'K' was completely dry I wrote a note on a piece of handmade paper I glued to the inside.  Then I wrapped the journal in kraft paper.  I made a line down the center with glue, and than dumped a bunch of confetti on top of the glue over a box.  Then I shook off the excess, and repeated the process perpendicular to the first line.  I also included some pens with my gift, so I wrapped yarn around them, and taped them down in the upper right corner.  


Hope you enjoyed, happy DIYing!